Light Fixture Cleaning Santa Barbara
Light fixture cleaning is important because it can set the tone for your house or office. Dusty and dirty isn’t the image anyone wants to portray, and nobody wants the dust falling on any surfaces or people.
Regular professional cleaning services for your light fixtures are recommended, but during the interim here are some tips to clean light bulbs and light fixtures so that your home is filled with a warm and welcoming glow.
The first step in knowing how to properly clean light fixtures and light bulbs is safety. Most importantly the bulbs should be cool; hot bulbs may explode when touched or exposed to cleaning products.
You should also make sure the power is turned off or unplugged before you start cleaning. If you’re cleaning light fixtures with a cleaning solution, you should also turn the power off to the room.
If you’re taking the time to clean fixtures, you should also take a little extra time to clean the bulbs as well. It will only take a few extra minutes to clean the bulbs, and all that is needed is a dry microfiber cloth.
- Unscrew the light bulb after the power is off.
- Wipe the dust off the bulb using a damp microfiber cloth. A dry cloth won’t won’t get the job done because the heat from bulbs can bake dust onto the surface.
- Replace the light bulb.
Chandeliers and Pendant Light Fixtures
As you might know, cleaning a chandelier can be very time-consuming, but the good news is that you should only need to clean it once or twice a year. Even better news is that you can always call Southern Coast Janitorial Services to help with your chandelier cleaning. We can provide this type of additional cleaning with your regular scheduled professional cleaning service.
If you would like to do the cleaning yourself, there are two methods of cleaning these types of light fixtures: with the crystals on or with the crystals off. The best way to clean chandeliers depends on whether you’d prefer to spend a long time standing on a ladder or if you prefer to reassemble your light fixture.
Below we provide instructions for the crystals-off method, so you can spend more time sitting down, instead of standing on a ladder. It’s also a similar method you’d use on ceiling fan globes or pendant light fixtures.
What is needed for chandelier cleaning:
- A spray bottle
- Several microfiber cloths
- Distilled white vinegar
- A ladder or step stool
- A blanket
- A towel
- A cleaning buddy
If you have a chandelier you should first take many pictures from multiple angles before you start the cleaning process. These pictures are a helpful guide when you are done cleaning and it’s time to replace the crystals. If your pendant lighting has different sized globes, you might want to take pictures as well.
Here is the proper process:
- Make sure the light fixture is off and the bulbs are totally cool.
- Place a thick blanket on the floor under your chandelier or pendant light. This provides cushion in case any pieces fall. You’ll also need to set a towel on another surface so you have a place for the chandelier crystals, globes and any other hardware you’ve removed.
- Carefully remove the crystals from your chandelier. Start at the top so you can keep them in order. You’ll use a similar process for pendant lighting, but you need to make sure you don’t misplace any screws or other hardware.
- Remove any excess dust by wiping your crystals or globe using a dry microfiber cloth. With chandelier crystals, you’ll want to make sure you’re working in the order you placed the pieces on the blanket. This will help when you reassemble everything.
- Next you will need to combine one part vinegar to three parts water in a spray bottle.
Put the solution on a clean microfiber cloth and use this to wipe your crystals or globe. Using gloves is smart to help prevent any smudges.
- Use a dry microfiber cloth to buff out streaks. Your globe, crystals and hardware should be absolutely dry before you replace them.
- Before replacing the globes or crystal, use a dry microfiber cloth to remove any dust from the metal part of the fixture. For stuck-on grime, you can lightly moisten your microfiber cloth with a mixture of water and a few drops of dishwashing liquid.
Put your crystals or globes back in the correct place, and turn the power back on.
Professional Cleaning Services
Now you know how to clean light fixtures if you don’t want professional cleaning services provided. It feels great to brighten up your home. If you need any other cleaning services like professional carpet cleaning or floor cleaning, or any other cleaning services you can call Southern Coast Janitorial at (805) 964-4993
With more than 30 years of cleaning experience, we know the best way to clean your light fixtures. If you need any information about carpet cleaning, air duct cleaning, floor cleaning, or any other professional cleaning services you can take a look at our janitorial blog.
We understand most people don’t have a lot of extra time to deep clean their house every week. We understand that your time is very valuable! Let us keep your house clean so you have more free time to spend doing the things you love. Our professional cleaning services will take care of all the dusting, floor cleaning, carpet cleaning, window cleaning, vacuuming and more. Give us a call at (805)-964-4993 to discuss a cleaning plan specific to your needs